A lonely brown banana seems to be a staple in most kitchens. I often throw my brown bananas into quick fruit smoothies (click here for an easy recipe), which is an easy way to get them off of the counter. But, sometimes you have to cave and make banana bread.
I enjoy a good slice of banana bread. There is something almost comforting about it. However, it is hard for James and I to finish a full loaf by ourselves. So, I prefer to make a small batch of banana muffins.
This recipe is quick, easy, and only makes four muffins. It also uses up one brown banana, and costs about $0.22 per muffin (see below for full cost analysis).
Small Batch Banana Muffins
This small batch recipe results in four fluffy banana muffins
- 1 overripe banana
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a muffin pan with liners (or grease).
- Cream butter and granulated sugar together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Mash the banana in a small bowl.
- Add the mashed banana and egg white to the sugar mixture and mix until combined.
- Sift remaining dry ingredients together and mix into the sugar mixture.
- Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 of the way full (about 2 to 2.5 tablespoons each).
- Bake for 18-25 minutes, until muffins are lightly browned and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
Categories: Frugal Foodie