For many years, I commuted an hour each way to work, and left very early in the morning. In an effort to maximize my sleep, I started making overnight oats every evening so I had access to a convenient breakfast the next day.
The base recipe of oats, milk, and peanut butter has remained the same, although I have used both powdered and regular peanut butter. Powdered peanut butter mixes well, but is more expensive than regular peanut butter. The base recipe has a cost of approximately $0.52, but the toppings can add up quickly.
The recipe I enjoy the most includes whole flax seed, almonds, and raspberries. I found that this keeps me full until lunch, and adds some much needed fiber to my diet. However, cheaper combinations I have used include using dried fruit (like cherries, cranberries, raisins, etc.), nearly any sliced or chopped nut is pleasant, and other fresh berries (such as strawberries and blueberries).
I used to add all of the toppings prior to refrigeration, but the meal ended up too soggy for me. I also used to make multiple servings ahead of time, but the quality becomes marginal by the third day. So, I would recommend making it nightly and adding the toppings just before eating.
The cost of the raspberry overnight oats is a pricey $1.39. Consider alternate toppings to significantly reduce your daily cost. See below for the cost breakdown.
In the Morning:
Easy Raspberry Overnight Oats
An easy and tasty breakfast with a nutty flavor and a mixture of texture.
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter or peanut butter powder
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- Combine oats, milk, and peanut butter in a bowl with a tight fitting lid (or use a mason jar).
- Seal bowl and refrigerate mixture for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Before consuming, mix in toppings of your choice. This recipe includes flax seed, almonds, and raspberries, which results in a pleasant nutty taste and a mix of textures.
Categories: Frugal Foodie