If you have some leftover artisan bread (or any bread for that matter), this recipe is for you! When I made this recipe today, I used 2 day old artisan crusty bread, but any bread should work! Splurge on fresh mozzarella for this sandwich. Fresh mozzarella makes up half of the cost of the sandwich, but it makes the sandwich much more luxurious!
Toasty Caprese Sandwich
An easy gourmet grilled cheese sandwich.
- 4 slices of bread (see artisan bread recipe)
- 3 ounces of mozzarella cheese (preferably fresh mozzarella)
- 4 basil leaves (I keep a basil plant for economical fresh herbs)
- 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- balsamic vinegar glaze (or a little balsamic vinegar)
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat a frying pan on medium heat
Butter one side of all 4 pieces of bread and place one piece of bread in the frying pan.
Top the bread with 1.5 ounces mozzarella cheese, half of the sliced tomato, a few leaves of basil, salt, pepper, and the balsamic vinegar glaze. Note: If you bread is very dry, you may want to butter both sides of the bread prior to cooking it in the frying pan!
Cook the sandwich until browned on the bottom and flip. Repeat the process until both sides of the sandwich are browned.
Serve with a salad, soup, or chips! Enjoy!
Categories: Frugal Foodie